“I am human; therefore no human is alien to me.”


The greatest compliment I have ever received is not about my appearance, my achievements, or anything I own. It is when people, especially immigrants, tourists, or those who feel forgotten by the world, tell me:


“You made me feel at home.”


They thank me for my kindness, my warmth, and for making them feel like they have family here, a home away from home.


When I first came here, my beginning was far from beautiful. The thought that I had to start from square one still gets me. I cried and complained to God more times than I can count. I encountered people who were unkind, colleagues who mocked my accent, laughed at the way I spoke, and made fun of me for simple things.


At the same time, my parents were constantly arguing, I was working two jobs, carrying stress, anxiety, loneliness, and the ache of having no real support system. I learned to keep everything to myself until my body began to carry the weight of what my heart could no longer hide.


Akala ko ang sexy ko, yun pala nagkakasakit na ako.


I slowly lost my nails from severe stress. I had the worst case of COVID, and my immune system and blood pressure dropped significantly during those times. And because I was getting sick, my parents finally decided to talk to each other like normal human beings, without attacking each other.


That is why I never want to lose the gift of empathy.

Once I found my way back to myself and became the person I knew I was meant to be, I understood something.


I struggled, but I also learned how to thrive.


I know what it feels like to be new, to feel out of place, to be misunderstood, to have no one, and to wonder where you belong.


And now that I’ve found my footing, I know exactly how I can help someone else feel welcome.


Maybe that is one of the things God allowed me to go through so I could become the kind of person who makes others feel at home.


Because I know what it feels like to need one.



Please do not look at people as if they are a threat. Do not treat them as if they are aliens. Love them. Serve them. Gently educate them when needed and hold them with compassion.


"Always wear your Jesus heart."


Choose compassion over anything else, understanding over judgment, and mercy over fear. Every person you meet is carrying a story you may never fully know, a battle that may be invisible to the world.


Be the kind of soul that makes others feel seen, heard, safe, and loved.


Let your words heal rather than wound. Let your presence comfort rather than condemn. Let your actions reflect the tenderness of Christ.


Sometimes the holiest thing we can do is remain gentle in a world that is becoming increasingly cold. Also, if this story speaks to you, you may want to read The Poetry Pharmacy by William Sieghart and look for “Siege Mentality,” his powerful reflection on Warsan Shire’s poem “from Home.” Thank you so much for taking the time to read. May God bless you abundantly!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts